Sunday, April 5, 2009

Palm Sunday, Bach, Venice and Fish Poisoning...

This morning, as any other morning, my alarm clock dutifully woke me up. In contrast to other days though, Sundays are so much nicer, bad news are replaced by lovely music. And oh lovely it was today. Usually I just snooze a few times, but the beautiful music this morning, made me head straight for the computer to find out exactly which Bach piece (that was obvious) I was listening too.

It was the Bach Cantata BWV 182 "Himmelskönig, sei willkommen", which Bach wrote in 1714 for Palm Sunday. It was performed by the Monteverdi Choir and English Baroque Soloists under direction of John Eliot Gardiner. The recording is magnificent and bright, just brilliant, unfortunately rather expensive though. I am contemplating if I should make my own Bach cantata of the month club and study a different one every month. I have always wanted to dive into the works of Bach for a deeper understanding and broader knowledge.


And of course, today was Palm Sunday, the Sunday before Easter, which commemorates the triumphant return of Jesus to Jerusalem before his Passion. Last year on this day, I was in Venice with my mother. We had a little apartment around the corner from the church of Santa Maria Formosa and when we turned onto the church's square, we noticed everybody was preparing for the Palm Sunday Procession with music to the St. Mark's Basilica. Many young men were playing guitars and everybody was holding up palm tree branches and it all felt festive, jubilant, sacred and ritualistic at once. I wanted to watch the procession, rather than participate, so we kept taking parallel paths, which is actually not that easy in Venice and all of a sudden we lost them. But the moment we reached St. Mark's square, they arrived at a different corner and we got to see them all pass by again and make a big detour around the square to march directly into the beautiful Basilica. In a very strange way it felt special to us, because of all the churches in Venice, it was "our" church after all.

We spent some time at the Museum Correr in the Napoleonic Wing until our feet gave out and we proceeded to our highly anticipated visit of Cafe Florian, one of the oldest and probably most expensive cafes of the world and absolutely worth a visit. My tea sandwiches had caviar on them, which I do not care for, but ate anyway. This was rather unfortunate, since it gave me fish poisoning and a gut wrenching night, not quite as triumphant as the procession, just a good story to tell. (Hey, I went to the worlds most exquisite cafe and got poisoned - what are the odds?)

But back to the Bach cantata 182, listen to part V, the alto solo "Leget Euch dem Heiland unter", isn't it very interesting?

No comments: