Monday, March 23, 2009

A little spark that started a brushfire in my thoughts regarding music and life

If you read the previous post, you already know my new found love with Facebook. So while I was checking what a friend was up to, he had been tagged to write a list of 25 records/CDs that were most influential in his life. I thought that might be an interesting thing to do as well, even though I was not even tagged. So I started compiling my list and of course was completely unable to narrow it down to just 25. As a piece of useful information I might add that it is very difficult for me to put things into a list, to pick favorites to make a rating of one over the other. The problem is, that everything has a different meaning depending on the context. A friend suggested to take out classical music and maybe make 2 lists, but then there are all these cross over genres so to say the least, I was overwhelmed with the task of deciding. Even though I knew I could take some CDs out of the stack, there where also some that were somewhere else in the house and then there were 5 years of iTunes downloads and hundreds of LPs in boxes. So I never did my list, but kept thinking and analyzing.

Then a friend returned Arvo Pärt's 'Kanon Pokajanen' CD to me, a very important piece that would definitely end up in the list and I started thinking about it while listening to it for hours on end. So I decided to write about it, because it represents lent for me and it is lent. Just writing about and analyzing that genial music alone is a huge undertaking. Following those thoughts though came the question why lent is important to me, if I am really an agnostic of some sort. So now I am thinking about my spirituality and my faith, if that is the right word for it. There we have it, I wanted to write a blog entry about a piece and then it became more and more and is turning into this whole essay. Isn't it amazing what one thought about music can do to your brain. I think I need a catchy psa video: "your brain on music". So hopefully within the next days I can start posting this kind of essay piece by piece, day by day, like a series. Anybody got a good title for the series for me?

No comments: