Thursday, April 9, 2009

Maundy Thursday

Sometimes a day just feels different than other days, like there is some significance to it, without being explicit. Today I had such a day. It is Maundy Thursday, the day of the last supper and J was singing at church. I am still wondering why I experienced lent so differently this year, actually experienced it at all. Maybe it is the music, or maybe it is because the full moon is shining while Passover and the holy week an Easter fall together. It feels as if my heart and soul are wide open.

I do not believe in god, I have tried, but I just don't, no matter how much I wish I would. I think it would be wonderful, there would be instant purpose and meaning and so much more hope. Instead I am a sort of existentialist, even if I do believe in more than the apparent world. Still though, going to the service tonight seemed so important and the words had so much meaning. I did not have the usual feeling of being an intruder, or an impostor, instead it felt right. The drama of tonight's service, the music, the movement, the stripping of the altar, the slamming of the cross while turning off all light, of course that all has an emotional impact. This was deepened by the choir singing Ave verum corpus by Mozart (KV618), which I sang in chorus as a teenager and it is very special to me.*

And while I was sitting there in church, listening so closely, it occurred to me why this felt so different. I might not believe in the divine, but I do believe in Jesus Christ, not necessarily as the son of god, but as a charismatic leader and reformer. It always has been strange, because I have always liked church, the rituals, the music, the meaning. I like the social structure it gives, the morals and ethics. I have met so many people who were believers, but wanted nothing to do with church, I also have met so many people that are deeply engrossed in the church and did not really live as very good Christians. For many years when this topic comes up, I have told people that I believe a person can be a good christian without actually believing in god and most people don't understand it. I suppose I see church from a sociological standpoint as a concept and as a way to build community. This probably stems from the way I grew up. I grew up in the parish, the church buildings were my home, the cantor and custodian people I saw daily. Since my mother worked for the church, our life was centered there, yet is was completely devoid of any religious deeper content or connotation. My whole family is as non religious as they get. As a young adult, I became very involved in another church (all Lutheran anyway) and found a wonderful community there, that I still miss. And when I left home for University, it was the university's church group that gave me the same 20 years ago.

When we became parents, we wanted to give our children the chance to find faith and decide on their own what they believe or not, but I got to a point where it did not seem to make much sense anymore. There was no presence of god in our lives, save for some prayers at mealtime and it felt truly wrong to me to participate in the communion and to say I believe in the trinity, which I know to be a man made concept from early church history. I cannot suspend disbelief and I had to stop going to church. There were a couple of other factors that contributed.

But tonight I did feel some sense of belonging, maybe it is because I spend so much time there bringing J to choir, maybe it is that it is not my church and they have no expectations or possibly it is because they welcome everybody with open arms. Whatever it might be, I think I have accepted to be without faith in god and I embrace the believes I do have. So therefore, it has been quite a meaningful day and of course, it was full of music :)

* My friends and me would sing it a lot when out and about - our other two favorites where the Marsaillaise and Ma na ma na from the Muppets and I admit it is a very eclectic mix.

No comments: