Thursday, April 30, 2009

Between concerts, excursions and talks, no time for blogging

I have been quite busy lately, as somebody noticed on Facebook "You've been off doing some pretty fun sounding stuff lately."

Two weeks ago I went to a Paul Winter solo concert at the Central Connecticut State University and it was quite wonderful and worth the long drive. They moved it to a smaller theater than planned and I was sitting right there in the front and listend not just to the wonderful music, but also his stories about making music in the pitch dark in some park out west or in the Grand Canyon. I was so fortunate to attend another concert a week later called ONE Earth featuring the Orchestra New England and the Paul Winter Consort in Woolsey Hall at Yale University. This was such a treat, the organist from St. John the devine was there playing that amazing organ and Paul Maccandles and Eugene Friesen (yeah :)!) were there as well. It was so neat to hear this music with a whole orchestra, how different and wonderful. I also got introduced to some music by Charles Ives, which I thought was very interesting. Of course we got to enjoy a lot of very lovely music at All Saints in Worcester, J had to sing a lot lately and she loves every moment of it (and so do we). My concert is coming up in just 2 weeks and I was finally able to pick up my voice lessons again.

But music has not been the only fun and interesting thing lately. We had two other meetings of Germans in Massachusetts and there are some really nice people in that group, I am happy I have met them. We are planning a picnic in May and maybe there is a slight chance some of us will meet in Germany this summer. A lot of them live in the northeast corner and so we seized the opportunity and spend a wonderful day at the beach in New Hampshire. Being at the beach makes all of us feel better and I wonder why we hardly ever go. When we moved here, I thought we would be making a run for the shore all the time. We are all looking forward to spend a whole week on the most beautiful island in the North Sea.

I have also been jumping into action with the process of getting help for the kids in school. It is a very difficult thing to have dual exceptions, meaning neurological problems while being gifted. It is hard for teachers to see that these children need help, they seem to do fine, but at to high a cost emotionally. I joined multiple organizations and online groups and I went to yet another whole day seminar on special education law and even though I went home with a head swimming in paragraphs and laws, I think I did learn a lot, espescially how to interpret test scores, which is not straightforward, but very important. Tonight I will attend a talk about Asperger Syndrome and the whole body, which is also a very important topic and just thinking about it reminded me how I need to put much more thought into S's sensory diet, which we have been neglected since we stopped occupational therapy. Almost everybody in this family is seeing some kind of therapist, so there are a lot of books to read, things to learn and new approaches to be tried. Sometimes it is hard for me to keep my sanity in all this, but I try.

The struggle to be happy has been with me all my life and that is not surprising if you know about my strange life. I hope to gain some insight this weekend, since I am going to see the Dalai Lama for two sessions at Foxborough. Yes a stadium is an awful spot for something so mentally important, but at least I got tickets right up front (not like the U2 concert in Septemer, which will be more a soaking up the atmosphere than really seeing the band itself). Work has always made me happy - go figure - and I have been working like crazy for our school TV show. If this would be paid, our 8 week Germany trip would be less scary, but it is not. Well, I am gaining more and more experience. We have been filming at school almost daily. I went on a fieldtrip this week to Concord/Lexington with the third graders and it was so much fun. Seeing children at my favorite spots while making it into a 30 minute stand alone show, how much fun. And we can put the stop motion stuff into this, because S will do some artwork and we will reenact Paul Revere's midnight ride with paper puppets!

I have also been working on a short film with fourth graders that will be shown at the fourth grade concert in May. Even though this was a tiny in the school production, it is still fun to shoot and edit and come up with a little fun 4 minute film. It seems that lately it has all been about photos and filming and editing and I still find no time at all to write my book. I am constantly working on it in the back of my head and I will have to put some time aside in the fall and winter. I should not even write this, I know that is so silly to write.

Can somebody just give me some more time please, pretty please?

No comments: