Monday, April 6, 2009

Second hand children's clothing is illegal

This morning I had the bright idea to stop at a thrift store and look for some high end used kid's clothing, since my muffins are growing so fast. Anybody who knows my children also knows that they always wear cool and funky clothing. I am a very thrifty shopper and can find good deals, but I also rely on second hand clothing through church sales, ebay, garage sales - you name it. This way you can get the best, already broken in and comfy, for a fraction. I am very persnickety about what my kids wear and it is so awesome to find a Ralph Lauren dress for $4, a Hanna Andersson outfit for $5 or a Patagonia jacket for $3.50 (the kids had that for 4 years!)

To my surprise, there was no clothing for children anywhere in the store and upon my asking why, I was told that there are no more thrift stores with children's clothing, because a new law is in effect. I was standing there completely dumbfounded. Not for a second did I question even that there is a law, after all, we need a law for everything, since we all are incapable of thinking for ourselves. For example pyjamas, because there is law that they need to be fire retardent, most sleepwear is made from artificial fiber and just for the fun of it, doused in flame retardent chemicals - I am sure that is great. When made out of cotton, they are made so snug fitting, that only children that are extremely skinny can actually fit in them. My children only sleep in organic cotton pj's that fit them just right and I have to spend a fortune on them. Most children though sleep in big, loose t-shirts anyway and they are all doomed to burn - even though more children die of carbon monoxide poisoning before the flames reach them anyway.

So now I cannot buy cool, used kid's clothing anymore and I also cannot sell huge pile waiting downstairs to be sold... I can also not donate it anymore - all children's clothing will end up in landfills, what a complete waste. This article in the L.A.Times explains it all. And here is a petition to revise or change the law. This law was put in effect because of lead in clothing, which now can only be sold if tested. This also effects small companies making clothing for kids that cannot afford the testing, or people who handcraft anything for children and sell it on etsy, at craft shows or the likes. I am all for removing toxins out of children's clothing, but this law seems to go about it the wrong way.

We live in tough economic times and it does not look very promising for the near future. A lot of families rely on thrift stores, I guess second hand Ralph Lauren pure cotton just won't be available anymore and has to be exchanged for low quality Walmart clothing, fresh from China and still outgasing... this is completely insane and I am really mad! I already wrote an email to Kerry, Kennedy and McGovern and also a real letter and in the meantime I will just buy from ebay in England and Germany then. I just hope that our episcopalian church has not found out about this and I can find plenty of clothing there at their annual sale, because they have this family with children that are just a bit older than mine and we buy all their donated Gap and L.L.Bean seonds.

3 comments:

majesticmoose said...

Apparently thrift stores and second hand stores are exempt from testing the clothing and toys, they are required though, to comply with the law by only selling clothing within the given limits, which they can not know unless they test it. There is a one year stay on enforcing the law and we will have to wait and see what happens then.

Rachael Missall said...

I can see why an organization like Goodwill decided not to sell kids clothes until the law is clarified. They would need to employ someone to sort through the goods and make an informed decision on what to sell and what to dump. They don't have the funding for that. However, there are plenty of clothes on e-bay and in other thrift stores. Also, there is nothing on the goodwill website indicating that you can't donate childrens' clothes. I suspect it's a matter of time before it's all sorted out, and we can resume shopping at our favorite bargain spots. :)

Christina said...

The whole thing is utterly ridiculous. I've heard of books (!) being THROWN AWAY because Goodwill Stores won't sell them any more. It really is awful.

If the law isn't changed or (my sage recommendation) gotten rid of, then I'm sure we will see a "black market" for used children's clothing emerge soon.

Or maybe we can barter for them--the law just prohibits selling them, right? Could be a whole new way to build community.