Monday, September 8, 2008

Lentil Soup

Even though it is not here, the enjoyable absence of humidity and the clear air leads to feelings of fall. Couple that with soup and we have heavenly bliss - after all, it is Monday and that is declared soup day.

Since I have not made it for a while, it was time for boring looking, but delicious tasting lentil soup. Lentils are protein packed health food and we love them. A while back I had read about french lentils, also calles green or Puy lentils. They are supposed to be the finest lentils around, with a rich taste. They were originally grown in Puy (France) on volcanic soil, hence the name. So when I saw them at Whole Foods, I thought I should give them a try. The soup turned out good, but I don't think it is necessary to use french lentils for it, after all, they are more expensive and harder to come by and it does not make such a big difference in soup or stew. Because they stay firm after cooking, they make great lentils for salads or appetizers. I will have to try that soon.

Recipe for Lentil Soup:

I cut up 1/3 lb of bacon and start frying it in a heavy soup pot.
I then add a medium sized small diced onion.
After 5 minutes or so, I add carrots and celery, finely diced. I used about 1/2 lb of carrots and bout 1/2 stalk of celery. When possible, use celery root, but i is not always available.
When everything is nicely coated and hot, I add 3-4 Tbs of tomato paste and 1 Tbs of flour and mix it all up.
Add about 1 1/2 quarts of broth - I used 'Better than Boullion' beef broth, but it can be anything - and about 2/3 pound of washed lentils (300g)
Let this simmer and stir once in a while or the lentils will all stick to the bottom.
After 1/2 hour add diced potatoes, I used 4 medium sized ones.
Let it cook for another 1/2 hour.
In the last 15 minutes I added small diced polish kielbasa, but that is optional.
Season with salt, black pepper, balsamic vinegar and fresh parsley.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I love your soups, Barb! How do you think this would turn out without the tomato paste? Can you think of anything I could substitute?

majesticmoose said...

Just leave out the tomato paste, but still use the flour, I cannot see why it would be necessary.