Saturday, September 20, 2008

Mom interrupted

So, something must be in the air. First J has some friends here for a sleep over and they go outside to rollerblade, they do not heed my advice regarding the importance of wrist guards (from my experience) and it results in poor little A breaking her Ulna and her Radius. The actual event was actually less of an interruption than the feeling guilty somebody got hurt at our house, while in our care.

Fast forward 2 days and we have the next candidate for emergency procedures. Apparently our cat Mika had a bad infection inside her leg for a while, just never showed any signs of it until it was horribly bad and needed surgery. So this poor cat is limping about and has a tube inserted into her leg and a cone around her head. Now I am lucky my husband is the animal handler in the house and he takes her to the vet and gives her the medicine (an extremely difficult undertaking). I got burnt out handling sick animals when we got them as very sick babies last year and I spent many hours a day for many weeks dealing with that. Now I take care of the peripheral actions, like trying to clean bedsheets, he put the dripping cat on or taking care of spots the cat mistook for a litterbox. So I banned the cat to the downstairs where, guess what, I am working into the whee hours of the morning, or at least attempting it, since attention starved Mika wants me to just spend time giving her TLC and have you ever noticed how a little cat can be so incredibly and understandibly demanding? She keeps on trying to nudge me with her head, resulting in actually just bumping into me with her cone. That is as funny as sad, but was not really welcome, since I already had to divide my attention between my hands on the project and my eyes and heart glued to the TV screen to catch every glimpse of Colin Firth in a late showing of Bridget Jones 2.

I am experienced dealing with interruptions, for years I was prepared to be ready in a seconds notice to run S to the ER with either Croup or horrible head wounds. Oh and then there was the time my husband broke his neck. I think I can handle these unforeseen events pretty well, after all, I had training myself throughout my whole childhood, being so very accident prone. What I do not like though, is this looming feeling of impending disasters that could possibly strike any moment, because I have other interruptions to deal with, like loosing my 160 G external hard drive, meetings that expand from 1 to 4 hours, last minute play dates that require shuttling kids back and forth or last minute school assignments. Or of course, getting caught up in blogging on Saturday morning.

No comments: