Monday, September 15, 2008

Cooking inspired by literature

I had a really boring dinner planned for Thursday, just rice and soycutash. My back was hurting and that usually kills the motivation for grocery shopping and cooking alike. While I was soaking in the tub, trying to numb the back pain with excessive heat, I started reading 'The Toss of a lemon' by Padma Viswanathan. Slowly some kind of atmosphere of India grew inside me and by the time I made it to the kitchen to prepare dinner, it could no longer be boring, it had to be indian inspired. So here is what I did.

I started some brown Jasmin rice in the rice cooker. I added ground cloves and coriander, ginger, cumin, salt, golden raisins and butter to it. When the rice was getting closer to being done, I took my wok and heated up some Ghee (clarified butter), added some Panch Puran, dillseeds and diced onions. When the onions where nice and soft, I added frozen soycutash (soybeans, corn and red pepper) and unsweetened coconut and salt. When I considered it done, I added just a bit of cream to bind it a bit.

Since the kids like fresh veggies with dinner, I cut up carrots and celery and made a dip from cream cheese, milk, curry, onion, ginger and mustard powder. The rice got a sprinkling of sliced almonds and we also had European style yogurt and Tamarind chutney to perfect the taste. As a treat we had sugar coated fennel seeds, of course, because we all love them. I am lucky to have a good Indian supermarket in town.

And so, just because the book inspired me, we had wonderful - yet super easy - dinner that lasted well over an hour filled with conversation.

3 comments:

Christina said...

I love your creativity, Barb! What an awesome meal that sounds like. How did the girls like it? We'll have to talk about how you made the switch from the kids eating mac and cheese to the family eating the same thing some time! You should write a book about it (or at least a blog entry).

majesticmoose said...

The girls both gave it an 8+ on a scale of 0 - 10, which is pretty good. They like most of the crazy meals I make. It almost never happens that I make something different for the children. If they don't like it, they won't starve, after all they both love to eat and I usually have raw fruits and veggies as a side.

Yes, let's get together and have the kids eat what we are eating. And sometimes one just endures a child making a face of displeasure while eating, like J yesterday when I made a Thai coconut curry veggie soup. And guess what, I am not a nice mom: she has it again at school, since I am adhering to my afore mentioned meal plan. And if she does not eat it, she will just eat some more apples when she comes home.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm....sounds good. Will have to try to replciate...