Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies

Now really, this is an absolute awesome book title. I love the absurd and this sure sounded very much so. When I received it from the library, I was really put off by the title and have since talked to many people who did not even read it because of the title artwork. Personally, I think that is silly, since one should not judge a book by its cover.

Zombies add a hilarious notion to a piece of literature set in a period of stiffness and proper conduct. The books bizarre juxtaposition appealed to me on the comedic level as much as to me being a big fan of Austen. Pride & Prejudice is a satire and I do think that Austen herself would love the idea of this mash-up. Unfortunately though, this is where I think this book fails. It stays a good concept, but it delivers only a fraction of what it promises. It has its moments of hysterical and wicked fun married with the macabre, but the execution is overall inconsistent and weak. The first chapters make you laugh your head off and then it tapers into the background and comes with a big return towards the end when we get a Crouching Tiger meets Austen moment.

I am no fan of horror (too many horror movie matinees at the age of seventeen) and there is some horror in this book. I never really felt the “ultraviolent zombie mayhem” while reading, because it is being portrayed in a very matter of fact style and the characters fight according to the regency times with polite elegance and a nonchalance that makes you take that attitude as well. Therefore horror, blood and gore were not even in my field of vision while reading, the zombies did not materialize in my head. I did ignore the potty humor, as I think it neither funny nor shocking, but rather infantile and not very clever.

I am new to the genre of mash-up, but I thought it takes two aspects and by mashing them up transforms them into something different. I don’t think there is a transformation here, it does stay Pride & Prejudice. There is nothing very original about the addition that were made, they are mere sprinkles in the awesome work of Jane Austen. I kept wondering throughout if it would be more interesting with more twists like those regarding Charlotte and Collins, but I came to the conclusion that it would add so much more implausible plot, that it could become rather annoying. Or maybe that is exactly what would make this better and achieve a transformation?

Would I recommend it to friends? I love Pride & Prejudice and it was a fun way to spent some hours on a dreary winter afternoon, so I was entertained. On the other hand though, I was thoroughly bugged by inconsistencies in plot, geography and spelling that really puts this more on the level of online fanfic rather than being a book to shell out money for. With a better editor and stronger writing, this could have been something that Jane Austen herself would have enjoyed.

This might be a great way though to trick weary teenagers into reading Jane Austen. I give it three stars, not great, not bad.

1 comment:

gettingoutofthewayofthemusic said...

I'm not a teenager, but I am weary on Jane Austen too...but this might just do the trick for me! Great title!!