Wednesday, March 31, 2010

politics and society/ heath and education

I am not American. Coming from another country with different priorities of society and dissimilar political system, there are two topics that always gave me a feeling of unease. These two are Health and Education. I think a country that considers itself to be so great and offer everybody opportunities needs to make sure that all people can be healthy and be educated. I am happy that the health care bill passed, even though I am sure that it is just a first step and a compromise, but progress needs to start with little steps. In the past years, I have heard of so many people that were in terrible situations because they could not afford doctors and health care. What really got me though, were the millions of children without coverage, to me that is unthinkable. What kind of society leaves their children in such a situation?

Children are our future, they are going to be the ones at the rudder, steering forward when we are old, they deserve a good chance. That brings me to the second topic, education. In my view, it is fundamentally wrong that level of education rises and falls with the financial state of parents. Cheaper house, cheaper town and ergo, school district not as good. It is not equal opportunity, if rich children can either move to a great public school district or just go to a great private school and others are left behind. When I grew up, I thought the harder you worked and the more you learned and when you did everything right, you will be on top financially. I do not think that anymore, the amount of money people make, is not always related to amount of work, too many factors contribute to being well off and for sure is it not related to people being better persons than others. I see money as a great divider, people with money can send their kids to great schools and they can move into the same stratosphere. Of course there are always children that find their way anyway and their are others with the best starting position and they fail, but in general, money is a deciding factor. I despise that, because I think it should be based on merit and achievement. Wouldn't that ultimately be better for all of society?

I do worry about my children and their academic future, they will have to find a way to get scholarships or community college is calling. Maybe we just move to Germany and they can study anything they want - if they are good enough - for a nominal little fee. I am very happy that a new bill was signed yesterday, making student loans much easier to acquire and to pay off. Another step in the right direction. Sometimes, politics can move things forward or better them - at least until the tide changes in this two party system (another peculiar thing).

Then of course, I hear about nuclear power and offshore drilling and all my joy had been canceled out again. I think it is healthier for my mind to turn off NPR and listen to 400 years old music instead, but I find myself unable to. I feel a strange sense of duty to be an informed - well, I would love to write citizen, but I am not one of those - person. Good night and good luck!

No comments: