Monday, February 23, 2009

Can pants be a mistake of epic proportions?

I am out of commission and cannot move, my medication makes me dizzy, so reading is not really an option, so what do I do: Day time television - ugh, I'd better be sleeping, really. So I happened across this show called 'What not to wear' and I am disgusted. Some people called in the TV crew because they thought their coworker was looking to frumpy. They filmed her secretly and while looking at the footage laughed their head off. The only thing evaluated is what this person is wearing. I cannot stand the attitude of the co-hosts making fun of their victim. She gets brought to New York for a overhaul and she has to throw out ALL her clothing, while she is on the verge of tears, because she loves some of it. She gets some rules explained and has to head out finding clothing for herself. I think this show is unbelievably shallow and stupid, this persons personality, likes and dislikes are thrown overboard, made fun off and she is has to conform to some external norm. Of course the show justifies itself by every people being so happy with their transformation. And if they can stick to the new rules, the hosts are 'so proud', though they have to scaled her for wearing sensible shoes once.

If somebody feels unhappy with their wardrobe and actually wants and seeks advice and somebody who has a good eye and good people skills takes this person shopping, that can be great. I had an optician pick perfect glasses for me that I would never have picked up myself, but that did not include ridicule or ambushes by camera. There is absolutely nothing wrong with make-overs in general. How about collaboration on a clothing analysis instead of shaming people into change and using words but awful, ugly, hideous and laughing stock? Do unflattering pants really fall in the category of 'mistake of epic proportion' or would not the Iraq war fit better into that category?

A show with sensitive nice hosts that really find out who the person is and work out together what lines, silhouettes and colors work, what looks good, but also feels right. I take issue with making fun of people and making a show out of it, validating such shallow behavior. It is not that I cannot see some value in looking appropriate, after all that is the first impression we give to people and there is always some kind of judgment involved. For me it is actually very important what I wear, because it has to do with how I feel. Clothing is an expression of myself and I spend time and money on it, it is my very own unique style though and rather quirky - it is me. I can just picture what these superficial people on the show would want me to wear and I would absolutely hate it, because it would not be related to the person I am inside.

No comments: