Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Building a xylophone

At our elementary school, one of the cool units in third grade is the physics of sound. As part of that unit they have to build an instrument to show that they understand the terms they have learned and they have to demonstrate their instrument. Last year J built a stick fiddle, which never stayed tuned, but was cool otherwise. S decided to build a simple xylophone this year and I found these plans online. They have a lot of plans for home build instruments.

She did all the measuring and cutting of the conduit tubing and the pvc pipe. It is pretty neat to see an eight-year-old girl handle power tools, clamps and a measure like as if she has done it since years. I guess the apple landed pretty close to the tree here. Maybe if I play my cards right, she can become my apprentice and help with the 4 shelves that are on the carpentry to-do-list.



Of course measuring, marking and cutting for the first time, the pitch is not exactly on the mark, but for doing this with very little adult interference, I am amazed at the result. And this is her very first try on the final instrument:



During my search for plans - i.e. length of pipe for pitch - I found this guy who sells plans for building a 3 octave marimba and the children want to build one during April vacation. Since I had always kind of wanted to have one, I blame it on that Orff music education I had, I am easily convinced. This would be a fun project and I could teach some more wood working and the handling of some more power tools (oh yeah!).

1 comment:

Christina said...

Woo-hoo, S.! What an awesome job she did and such a great performance as well. I hope her teacher appreciates her!