Sunday, June 22, 2008

Snags

At times it appears as if life is nothing like a string of snags following one each other and we turn to un-kinking the kinks and un-snaggin the snags.

In regards to my last post about my laundry spider I encountered the first snags. I hung the laundry in the evening and as a result had a few mosquito bites to show and the hanging of the laundry was not peaceful with me swatting frantically about me. And then today, while I was standing outside and painting something - as I often do - a sudden storm came up and I was standing there, messy with paint and not in the position to scoop all the laundry off the 'spider' and so I had to let it get wet again. Therefore timing and weather seem to be a greater factor than anticipated.

I encountered a more difficult snag regarding this blog. I am very thorough and a perfectionist and I aim at being so complete, that I keep reading and thinking and collecting and researching, as if I am writing an article for a magazine. Blogging of course is different and I am not finding an easy way into it, even though I know that this is the perfect forum to post my own questions, to ponder and contemplate, after all, I am on my way, not there yet. I have also noticed something else in my process. Since I have been reading and researching so much, it has been changing my mind set, as if I am sensitized to the topics I am learning about. For example I cannot believe the huge mountain of shiny and colorful wrapping paper and packaging at a birthday party, I can't help but get angry at all the idling cars I notive everywhere (why are they usually really big cars?) and I feel guilty wasting water while waiting for it to get warm. Every styrofoam cup makes me cringe and bottled water elicits anger. Overall this is a good thing though, since it will give me more ideas about little changes everybody can do.

Some snags can be quite funny. Wednesday I set out with the children to visit the farmer's market in Worcester. We were very excited, expecting all this local and maybe even organic produce and just a wonderful time strolling along the stalls. Imagine our surprise when we arrived, since there were four vendors all together. One with bread for $6.25 a loaf, another with watercolor paintings, a little one with pies and finally one with tomatoes and pale looking small cucumbers. We bought a few pounds of tomatoes and then had a chat with the market's manager. He promised it would be different in a few weeks and told us that most of his regular farmers did not have enough produce yet, since spring was too cold. Just for comparison: the market around the corner of my first apartment in Germany had about 200 stalls over roughly half a mile and offered produce, meats, fish, cheeses herbs, tea and spices, bread, home made candy and pralines, even things like antiques, candles and clothing and really anything else one can imagine. The would be numerous places to eat wonderful foods of different ethnicities and often even live music.

If I could just solve that little snag of being unable to customize the blog's appearance the way I want to...

No comments: